Whatever we think of Obama, it is clear that he is carrying out Dubya's agenda - or rather the agenda of their political masters. The trajectory is not difficult to discern.
Obama's stance seems to be several-fold:
- Dosh - Get BP to pay for clean-up/restoration of states affected, given the US's and its states' finance black holes;
- Populism - appearing to bash corporations;
- Environmentalism - excuse to clamp down on oil usage;
- Sop to stock market - effort to create synthetic scarcity of oil and thus, boost oil prices significantly;
- Environmentalism - effort to ban all off-shore drilling;
- Socialism - move towards nationalising oil companies.
The man is a socialist/corporatist, who is deeply unpopular and who faces a hiding in the November elections. He has a packed agenda to fulfil, before he is packed off to work for one of his donor corporations after his electoral armageddon.